about the collection
The Eye collection dates back to 1946, when the first predecessor of Eye was founded: the Nederlands Historisch Filmarchief. In 1952, this became the Dutch Filmmuseum; since 2010 we are Eye Filmmuseum.
However, Eye does not exclusively acquire and preserve films, but a range of different materials - from movie posters to projection equipment. The focus is on films and objects that say something about Dutch film culture; a copy of virtually all Dutch films that come out each year is included in the collection.
Managing all these different materials involves all kinds of specializations. A film is stored under different archival conditions than a movie poster, so each of the depots has its own climate settings. Nearly all the depots today are in our new Collection Centre.